Moving Insurance

How Can I Insure My Possessions During a Move?

November 18, 2020
by Team SESLOC

There are several ways to insure your possessions while you’re moving. Perhaps your current homeowners policy includes coverage for your personal property during a move. The policy may cover your possessions at the new location for a limited time, also. The same coverages, exclusions, and deductibles apply while you’re moving as they would for a regular homeowners claim.

If your homeowners policy doesn’t include this coverage, you can purchase a policy that’s specifically designed to insure possessions during a move. It’s known as a floater and is effective only during your move. Or, you can add a floater to the coverage already provided by your homeowners policy.

A third alternative is to rely on the insurance offered by the moving company. You’ll want to see its policy before you hire a moving company so you’ll know what’s covered and what isn’t. Also, pay attention to insurance limits. If the company’s insurance is not up to your standards, purchase a floater.

If you have a loss during a move, the mover’s insurance is primary. That is, the mover’s insurance company will pay first. Your insurance pays only after the mover’s insurance limits have been depleted. For example, the mover’s policy has limits of $10,000 and your floater has limits of $25,000. If you have a $15,000 loss and the movers are at fault, the mover’s policy will pay $10,000 and your policy will pay $5,000.

As you review the combined mover’s insurance and your own, pay attention to what they cover and how much. Know what the exclusions are and what the deductible is. Your insurance agent can help you be sure your possessions are adequately covered.


SESLOC members have access to our knowledgeable CFS* Financial Advisor, located at SESLOC Federal Wealth Management »


Prepared by Broadridge Investor Communication Solutions, Copyright 2022.

SESLOC Wealth Management is provided through our relationship with CUSO Financial Services, L.P. (CFS)* an Independent Broker-Dealer and SEC Registered Advisor formed for the express purpose of serving Credit Union member’ investment and financial planning needs.
*Non-deposit investment products and services are offered through CUSO Financial Services, L.P. (“CFS”), a registered broker-dealer (Member FINRA/SIPC) and SEC Registered Investment Advisor. Products offered through CFS are not NCUA/NCUSIF or otherwise federally insured, are not guarantees or obligations of the credit union, and may involve investment risk including potential loss of principal. Investment Representatives are registered through CFS. SESLOC has contracted with CFS to make non-deposit investment products and services available to credit union members. CFS and its representatives do not provide tax advice. For specific tax advice, please consult a qualified tax professional.

Share this post

Like this post