How Long Should I Hang On To An Investment

How Long Should I Hang On To An Investment?

September 30, 2019
by Team SESLOC



You’ll want to hang on to an investment as long as it meets your objectives. Is it likely to continue to perform as well as or better than comparable investments? Is it still appropriate for your age, risk tolerance and financial goals? Evaluating your investments once or twice a year will help you make that determination.

A common mistake among investors is to hold on to an investment because it has fallen in value, hoping to earn your losses back before moving on. A good rule of thumb is that if you aren’t willing to buy more of that investment at the lower value, it may be time to sell it. A good time to re-evaluate is when changes occur in the management of a mutual fund or company in which you own stock. You generally have no way of predicting what effect new management may have on the value of the securities.


SESLOC members have access to our knowledgeable CFS* Financial Advisor, offered through SESLOC Wealth Management »

Prepared by Broadridge Investor Communication Solutions, Copyright 2019.

SESLOC Wealth Management is provided through our relationship with CUSO Financial Services, L.P. (CFS)* an Independent Broker-Dealer and SEC Registered Advisor formed for the express purpose of serving Credit Union member’ investment and financial planning needs.
*Non-deposit investment products and services are offered through CUSO Financial Services, L.P. (“CFS”), a registered broker-dealer (Member FINRA/SIPC) and SEC Registered Investment Advisor. Products offered through CFS adre not NCUA/NCUSIF or otherwise federally insured, are not guarantees or obligations of the credit union, and may involve investment risk including potential loss of principal. Investment Representatives are registered through CFS. SESLOC has contracted with CFS to make non-deposit investment products and services available to credit union members. CFS and its representatives do not provide tax advice. For specific tax advice, please consult a qualified tax professional.

Share this post

Like this post